This post provides lots of career goal statement examples that you can learn from in making one for your resume/CV and increasing its chances of being read by the recruiter/employer.
What is a Career Goal?
A career goal is a clearly documented statement of purpose that specifies what you intend to achieve in your career path, the strategy for actualizing it, and the timeframe within which it should be realized.
They help to keep you focused, giving you a sense of direction, and helps you press on during hard times on your career path.
A clear and specific career goal can help you evaluate your current job and give you clarity on the smart decision to take to be realigned with your goals.
It forces that you make objective decisions by answering tough questions like the ones stated below:
- What is my vision for my career in another 10 years?
- What more can I do to realize the vision?
- What tasks or projects on my current employment lead to the realization of the vision?
- Which areas should I improve on?
- What new skills do I need to learn acquire to get there?
- What projects make me feel most fulfilled?
- What tasks or projects make you feel most exhausted?
How to Write a Great Career Goal Statement
A career goal statement may be used by employees seeking professional growth in the workplace.
To write down an effective career goal statement, there are some steps you need to take:
First, you should take the time to reflect on what you really want or care about.
Your goals should be based on the things you desire to have and are willing to work toward, and not the things you feel or think you should have.
Secondly, you should state your goals in clear and specific terms of what you intend to accomplish, not using general or ambiguous statements.
You should also establish the yardstick for measuring success, so that you can know when you are on the right path or deviating.
Thirdly, set goals that are achievable following steps 1, 2, and 3.
The goals must also be relevant to you; it has to be on something that persistently interests you.
Also, the goals you set must have a timeframe within which you plan to achieve it.
After establishing what it is you want to achieve, you must also spell out the steps you need to take to reach the goals.
Otherwise, a career goal that does not answer the how will be ultimately abandoned.
Lastly, you must also give room for change; the purpose of the career goal is to give you a long term line of action to reach a guide you, but if personal factors, economic, societal, or technological factor dictates that there should be a bend, then you need to be willing to extend your deadline or re-chart your course.
Top 20 Examples of Career Goal Statements to Guide you in Creating Yours
- To become a Lead Graphic Designer in ABC Company in the next 3 years. To achieve this, I will undertake a Bachelor’s degree in Digital Design and develop proficient skills in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Acrobat. I will also improve in my organization skills and imbibe a problem-solving attitude.
- To become a Cloud Security Engineer in ABC Company in the next 5 years. To achieve this, I will work with the engineering team to gain experience in architecting solutions within Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, and GCP, as well as improve on my interpersonal, communication, and technical writing skills.
- To become an Application Support Analyst that improves performance of an organization’s trading architecture. To achieve this, to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and gain expertise in Unix/Linux system administration, including troubleshooting techniques and scripting languages from internship and volunteer work.
- To advance from a sales representative position to a Sales Manager position in the next 7 years. To achieve this I will establish a track record of exceeding sales targets, undertake an MBA, and develop strong leadership, communication, interpersonal, and team work skills.
- To become a Clinical Research Manager in ABC in the next 8 years. to achieve this, I will pursue a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree, improve on my scientific writing and communication skills, develop proficiency in MS Office applications and spend at least 4 years in the clinical research position.
- To switch from clerk to Administrative Assistant position in Blackstone in 3 years. To achieve this, I will develop strong communication and organizational skills, pay attention to details, improve on my team work and prioritization skills, learn to utilize Concur for coordinating travel arrangements, and develop advanced skills in Microsoft Office applications.
More Career Goal Statement Examples [7-11]
- To become an Associate Principle Scientist in the next 4 years. To achieve this, I will work for at least 4 years in the pharmaceutical research role, gain advanced and thorough scientific knowledge in pharmacology and disease mechanisms, and improve on my multi-tasking communication and interpersonal skills.
- To become an IT Specialist for The Army University in the next 3 years. To achieve this, I will gain at least one year of specialized experience installing, configuring, and/or testing software on customer workstations through a graduate internship job, get a Master’s degree in Information Systems, and improve on my customer service and oral communication skills.
- To become an HR Coordinator in ABC in the next 7 years. To achieve this, I will become a certified HR practitioner, remain on the HR Operations role for at least 4 years, and get comprehensive knowledge of HRIS Systems and reporting capabilities, employment, and benefit laws.
- To become an Engineering Technician in the next 5 years. To achieve this, I will work for 3 years in a manufacturing company, get an Associate’s Degree in Engineering, develop advanced skills in Microsoft Office Applications – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio, etc. I will also develop strong analytical and problem solving skills, and demonstrate leadership when working on individual or group projects.
- To become a Senior Salesforce Administrator in ABC in the next 7 years. To achieve this, I will get an MBA, develop proficient skills in Salesforce, and become a Salesforce Certified Advanced Administrator. I will also develop strong communication and technical writing skills and proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications.
More Career Goal Statement Examples [12-16]
- To become a professional Receptionist within the next twelve months. To achieve this I will project a professional image by being alert and approachable, learn to use industry specific software, standard office equipment, improve on communication, and work on my tone of voice and body language to provide excellent customer service.
- To switch from an Admin Officer to a Sales Executive in the next 3 years. To achieve this, I will undertake post graduate studies in Sales Management and complete certification course in digital marketing.
- To become Marketing Consultant in the next 10 years that help companies get and double customers regardless of their current problem. To achieve this, I will start my career in a sales representative position and progress through the ranks, honing my communication, presentation, and selling skills, as well as developing expertise in marketing communications.
- To become a passionate Social Worker who will provide early Intervention services to infants, toddlers, and families in the next 4 years. To achieve this, I will get a Master’s in Social Works, maintain a current licensure, and gain at least 2 years of work experience in a pediatric unit.
- To become Senior Project Manager in Panasonic USA in the next 7 years. To achieve this, I will refine my project management skills, become Certified Scrum Master (CSM), gain understanding of software development lifecycle best practices, and develop expertise in project management tools, including MS Project, Smartsheets, and MS Office.
More Career Goal Statement Examples [17-20]
- To become the Consumer Insight expert in the next 7 years. To achieve this, I will pursue an MBA, gain experience in a market research firm, Master software applications, including Excel, SPSS/JMP, and SQL/HQL, and develop exceptional communication skills, and refine my project management skills.
- To become the Go-to Interpreter in the US Army in 5 years. To achieve this, I will develop a polished communication style, expert level language skills in at least 4 of the major global languages, and improve on my listening skills.
- To become a Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist in Cleveland Clinic in the next five years. To achieve this, I will become certified as a medical terminologist, meet the High Complexity Testing Personnel qualifications, and improve on my critical thinking, decisive judgment, and ability to work without supervision.
- Looking to become a highly skilled and creative photo editor in the next 2 years. To achieve this, I will gain know-how in Electronic News Production System (ENPS), Master Control systems and Satellite Feed Operations, and improve on my communication skills.
Career goals are futuristic and help you to aspire for more than what you already have.
Taking the effort to write down career goal helps you to plan for growth in your chosen profession.
It helps you to see beyond your daily to-do list, and focus on the bigger picture which you may lose sight of in your everyday life.
When crafting your career goals statement, we suggest that you set goals that exceed the minimum required standard for success on that career path.>>> Create a professional resume in just 3 steps with the Amazing Resume Builder (it's free!).