When writing a dental assistant resume, your goal is to convince the hiring manager that you are the right person for the position by showing in your resume that you have the qualities, qualifications, and experience to succeed as a dental assistant in their organization.
This article will teach you how to write an effective resume for a dental assistant position and increase your chances of being hired for the job.
How to Write a Compelling Dental Assistant Resume
To create an effective resume for a dental assistant position, you need to show in the sections of the resume the qualities, including skills, knowledge, and abilities, and the experience, and training that you have that are important to succeeding as a dental assistant with the employer you are applying to.
You can divide your resume into four sections, including Objective Statement, Core Competence, Professional Experience, and Education and Professional Qualifications where you can highlight what you are bringing to the job to excel as a dental assistant.
Now, let’s see how to make the sections:
How to Write a Compelling Dental Assistant Resume Objective Statement
The objective statement of your dental assistant resume is very important. It can determine if the employer/recruiter will go ahead to read your resume or not.
You should try to explain why you are interested in the position and why you are the best candidate for the role.
This will encourage the hiring manager to get into the body of the resume to discover what you are bringing to the dental assisting job if hired.
You do this by writing two or three lines explaining what kind of job you are looking for and what skills, abilities and competencies you possess to do this job.
Create a great dental assistant resume objective statement that is interesting and relevant by making sure these points are reflected:
- Thorough explanation of the dental assistant role for which you are applying
- A statement that makes a case that you are best candidate for the role
- A snippet of your traits, credentials, and job experience, and so forth, that makes you a great fit for the vacant dental assistant position.
Here is a sample objective statement for a dental assistant resume:
“Meticulous and talented Dental Assistant seeking a post at Sunlit Clinic where excellent communication skills and ability to make patients feel comfortable during their visits will be applied; also comes with proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software, including Word and Excel.”
See more dental assistant resume objectives.
How to Write a Compelling Dental Assistant Resume Core Competence
The core competence is another important part of your dental assistant resume. It can influence the hiring manager to hire you or not.
Your core competences highlights the skills, attributes, abilities, knowledge, and experience, and training that you have that have prepared you for a successful dental assistant career.
Here is an example of the core competence section of a dental assistant resume:
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with people from all walks of life
- Strong ability to utilize Microsoft Office software tools effectively, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English and Spanish languages
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team.
How to Write an Effective Dental Assistant Resume Professional Experience
A professional experience section in your dental assistant resume should have positions in which you have worked before, in chronological order starting with the most recent one.
It is also important that you write as much about your responsibilities as possible, specific tasks and goals, as this will make it easier for hiring manager to decide if you are fit for the dental assistant job or not.
Here is an example of a dental assistant resume professional experience section:
Stixx Company, Florida
2019 – Present
- Compile all dental records and scheduling
- Assist dentist when needed
- Monitor status of insurance memberships
- Schedule appointments with new clients
- Process payment for services rendered
- Transmit data to computer system via Dental Communication software.
How to Write a Dental Assistant Resume Education and Professional Qualifications
Education and professional qualifications are another important section to put in your dental assistant resume.
This section should include all of your education background and any professional certifications or licenses you have.
This section is important because it gives hiring managers an idea of how qualified you are for the dental assistant job.
If your dental assistant resume is without listing any of this information, a hiring manager might think you don’t have much education or training for the job and this could result in them not giving you an interview.
You should write your educational credentials in chronological order and the reverse should be the case for your professional qualifications.
Dental Assistant Resume Example
We have seen how to write the different sections of a dental assistant resume, so, now we will put that together in creating a complete resume for the role.
Name: John Doe
Address: 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA
Phone Number: 555-555-5555
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
”Seeking employment as a dental assistant with BNK Company, with the goal of improving client experience via good communication skills, effective problem-solving aptitude, and a meticulous attention to detail”.
- Proficient in oral hygiene techniques, such as plaque removal and application of fluoride varnish
- Ability to communicate with patients and other dental office employees in a clear, concise manner
- Willingness to assist dentists and hygienists during procedures and minor surgical operations
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Extensive knowledge of professional rules and regulations pertaining to dental assistants
- Interest in health issues such as proper nutrition, exercise and wellness, smoking cessation, and the prevention of sick building syndrome.
2019 – Present
- Responsible for the administration of dental anesthetic to patients prior to dental treatment
- Must follow all safety guidelines related to anesthetic, such as the use of protective eyewear and gloves while administering drugs
- Obtain patient information through oral examination, including medical history and allergy information. This information is to be communicated accurately to dentists, usually in written form
- Clean patients’ teeth and gums using hand and power tools, such as ultrasonic scalers or air-driven rotary instruments for cleaning and shaping purposes. May also administer prescribed mouthwash or fluoride treatments during dental procedures
- Responsible for completing paperwork, including patient charts and dental treatment records, and making appropriate entries into the dental office computer system.
EDUCATION AND CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL TRAINING:
B.Sc. in Dental Assisting, University of Montana, (2013 – 2016)
Courses taken include:
- Anatomy, physiology and physiology of dental assistants
- Hygiene and bacteriology
- Dental materials and techniques
- Oral radiography, including cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) imaging
- Dental emergencies and medical first aid, CPR/BLS for healthcare providers.
Certified Dental Assistant, Dental Assisting, Dental Assisting Certification Board (DACB),
(2016 – 2018)
Courses taken include:
- Dental Assisting Care and Competencies for Dental Assisting Professionals
- Applied Dental Assisting (CADAS)
- History of dentistry
- Physiology of dental assistants
- Toxicology and first aid in dentistry.
The success of your resume in getting you the dental assistant position that you are applying for depends on the information you present in your resume to the recruiter/employer.
This is why every section of your resume should be carefully made to highlight your best qualities, experience, training, knowledge, abilities, and skills that will enable you to excel in the dental assistant position that you are applying for.
This post has provided useful information and examples to enable you to write highly impactful dental assistant resume.