If you are applying for a site reliability engineer job, you need to present a resume or CV that clearly and convincingly portrays you as the right person for the job.
Every part of your resume must be carefully written to impress the recruiter/employer to want to see you at an interview.
This post focuses on helping you create an effective site reliability engineer resume, with an example, to increase your chances of being hired.
Please, read on:
Who is a Site Reliability Engineer?
A site reliability engineer is a professional who works with the IT team to ensure that the website or web application they are responsible for is working properly.
His/her job includes ensuring that the site is available, responding quickly when there are issues, troubleshooting problems, and maintaining the site.
How to Write Great Site reliability Engineer Resume
To write a great site reliability engineer resume means that you should ensure that each section of the resume is well crafted to meet the recruiter/employer’s requirements and expectations.
To be effective, your site reliability engineer resume can be in a format with the sections: Objective statement, core competence, work experience, and educational qualifications.
The information you complete these sections with can have a huge impact on the recruiter/employer to invite you for an interview.
Now, let’s see how to complete the sections of your site reliability engineer resume:
How to Write Great Objective Statement for Site Reliability Engineer Resume
The objective statement of your site reliability engineer resume should be short and clear. It should describe what you want from an employer.
In other words, it should tell them why you’re applying for the site reliability engineer job.
Here are examples of objective statements for site reliability engineer resume:
- A Site Reliability Engineer with robust experience in the Department of Defense and private banking is looking to join Sysco. Coming with strong ability to deploy risk assessment and analysis, cyberspace security, and cyber-defense operations; networking, data analytics, and information technology infrastructure management. Possess strong project management abilities, the capacity to work autonomously, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A Site Reliability Engineer who is self-motivated, collaborative, hands-on, and detail-oriented is seeking a position in ABC Company. Knowledgeable of complicated system troubleshooting, implementation, and continuous operation in coordination with team members. Possess Ability to assess issues and produce solutions through software product research, analysis, design, development, testing, documentation, and maintenance. Have Network security experience, including vulnerability assessment, penetration testing, incident response, forensic investigation, and remediation.
- Senior Site Reliability Engineer with in-depth understanding of Microsoft Windows operating system and its features seeks to work for XYZ Company. Bringing Extensive technical expertise in a variety of programming languages like Java, .NET Framework, C, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, and others. Database technologies such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, Informix, Sybase, and others. Have Extensive knowledge of Linux and Unix systems and possess Excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communication abilities.
How to Write Great Core Competence for Site Reliability Engineer Resume
Your core competence should be highlighted next in your site reliability engineer resume.
These should be the most important things you have done at previous jobs.
Your core competence list should include the following information:
- What do you know?
- What can you do?
- What have you done?
In addition, you may also want to mention any certifications or special training you have received.
If you have worked in a specific area before, then you should highlight those areas.
For instance, if you have worked in web application development, then you might want to add that under “What have you done” section.
Now, let’s see some examples of core competence for a site reliability engineer resume:
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to networking, servers, and storage devices.
- Develop new features and modify existing ones.
- Work with other engineers to implement changes and improvements to existing code.
- Perform routine system administration tasks, such as installing updates, configuring services, monitoring performance, and backing up critical files.
- Create reports, dashboards, and graphs to monitor system health.
- Identify potential risks and vulnerabilities and take corrective action.
How to Write Great Professional Experience for Site Reliability Engineer Resume
You should always start your professional experience section with the most recent position first.
This will make it easier for the recruiter to understand what kind of work you did there.
You should briefly describe each job title and tell why you were hired for them.
Here is an example of a professional experience section of a site reliability engineer resume:
ABC Company, San Francisco
Site Reliability Engineer
2019 – Present
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure required to support the company’s products and services.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to team members.
- Monitor the availability, performance, scalability, security, and uptime of systems and networks.
- Manage all aspects of disaster recovery planning and implementation.
- Provide leadership in all incident response activities.
How to Write Great Education and Professional Qualifications for Site Reliability Engineer Resume
This is where you will list your education and professional qualifications relevant to the site reliability engineer position that you are applying for.
In this section, you should list your educational qualifications in reverse chronological order.
The best way to do this is by starting with the most recent degree first. So, if you graduated from college last year, then you should put down your college graduation date first.
Next, you should move on to your undergraduate degrees and so forth.
Here is an example of the education and professional qualifications section of your site reliability engineer resume:
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master of Science in Information Technology, University of Maryland College Park (2017)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (2016)
Site Reliability Engineer Resume Example
Having discussed the different sections of a site reliability engineer resume, let us now look at how to write one.
Here is an example of a site reliability engineer resume, showing the different sections earlier discussed:
Name: Jane Doe
Address: 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA
Phone Number: 888-555-1234
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Professional Site Reliability Engineer with over ten years of project management experience wants a role in that capacity with TruSoft. Coming with Proven track record of producing high-quality projects on time and on budget. Can deploy Custom application development experience using ASP.NET MVC 4, C, VB, SQL Server 2008 R2, and Oracle 11g databases. Have experience building and executing large-scale enterprise-level data warehousing solutions and reporting tools on a wide scale.
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Technical Writing
- Data Warehousing
- Application Development
- Database Administration
Blockly Inc, New Jersey
Site Reliability Engineer
2019 – Present
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, deploying, monitoring, and maintaining Blockly’s internal web applications.
- Assist in implementing a continuous integration workflow for company web applications.
- Implement a DevOps approach to managing deployments across multiple environments.
- Develop automated tests for new features and enhancements.
- Ensure that production code is deployed as soon as possible after each release.
- Create documentation for new features and enhancements, including user guides and API documentation.
EDUCATION AND CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL TRAINING:
University of Maryland College Park
Masters of Science in Information Technology
2018 – 2019
- Completed coursework towards a Master’s Degree in Information Technology.
- Degree completed in May 2018.
- Coursework included topics such as Software Engineering, Networking, Programming Languages, Operating Systems, Web Technologies, Databases, and more.
Your chances of getting the site reliability engineer position that you are seeking very much depends on the quality of resume or CV that you present to the recruiter/employer.
This post has provided valuable ideas and examples to help you to easily create highly compelling sections for your site reliability engineer resume.>>> Create a professional resume in just 3 steps with the Amazing Resume Builder (it's free!).